Interesting use of a shell variable
Niklas Karlsson
2022-04-25 14:24:00 UTC
I present to you the supercomputer user who recently tried to store a
whole genome in a shell variable.

It didn't go the way he'd hoped.

Niklas
--
Kids have it easy today. All they have to listen to is stories about
how back in the '70s we had to listen to stories about how bad it was
back in the '30s. --Keith Lynch
Michel
2022-04-25 14:44:23 UTC
Post by Niklas Karlsson
I present to you the supercomputer user who recently tried to store a
whole genome in a shell variable.
It didn't go the way he'd hoped.
I'll bet.

Is this the whole story or was there a link you'd meant to include? :)
Niklas Karlsson
2022-04-25 14:47:41 UTC
Post by Michel
Post by Niklas Karlsson
I present to you the supercomputer user who recently tried to store a
whole genome in a shell variable.
It didn't go the way he'd hoped.
I'll bet.
Is this the whole story or was there a link you'd meant to include? :)
No link, this was just an internal support ticket.

Niklas
--
Butterscotch schnapps is a great memory restorative. Now I remember why I don't
drink it more often.
-- Stevo, asr
Roger Bell_West
2022-04-25 16:43:25 UTC
Post by Niklas Karlsson
I present to you the supercomputer user who recently tried to store a
whole genome in a shell variable.
I am reminded of the code - I think it may have been an IOCCC entry --
which would compress a file down to zero bytes, and you could get it
back afterwards. Woo!

The file _name_ could get a bit long, mind...
--
(9) For all resources, whatever it is, you need more.
(9a) (corollary) Every networking problem always takes longer to solve
-- RFC1925
Gary Barnes
2022-04-28 09:37:39 UTC
:
: I am reminded of the code - I think it may have been an IOCCC entry --
: which would compress a file down to zero bytes, and you could get it
: back afterwards. Woo!
:
: The file _name_ could get a bit long, mind...

Damnit. I came very close to snorting my coffee over the X220's keyboard.

Are we on for an asrbrum this year?

Gaz
--
/\./\
( - - ) ***@adminspotting.org (Gary "Wolf" Barnes)
~~~
Roger Bell_West
2022-04-28 09:53:35 UTC
Post by Gary Barnes
Are we on for an asrbrum this year?
Do you know a pub with a properly outdoor beer garden? The
Wellington's big plastic box doesn't really seem suitable.
--
Expecting such a person to understand that precision is important is
like asking a starfish to extract a cube root.
-- Karl A. Krueger
Gary Barnes
2022-04-28 10:06:29 UTC
On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:53:35 -0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
: On 2022-04-28, Gary Barnes wrote:
: >Are we on for an asrbrum this year?
:
: Do you know a pub with a properly outdoor beer garden? The
: Wellington's big plastic box doesn't really seem suitable.

I don't know Brum too well, and whileI could think of a couple in
Shrewsbury, the logistics of getting you all here might be a bit much
(extended travel times and all that.)

Gaz
(Random aside: In the Concorde years it took less than half the time to
go from London to New York than from London to Aberystwyth.)
--
/\./\
~~~
Roger Bell_West
2022-04-28 10:15:45 UTC
Post by Gary Barnes
(Random aside: In the Concorde years it took less than half the time to
go from London to New York than from London to Aberystwyth.)
And soon, I'm sure, that glory will be returned, once they've dug up
the tracks a few more times.

(I'm planning to go to Perth [Scotland] in August. My first thought,
being the age I am, was to book a train. Turns out to be distinctly
more expensive than driving myself, even with current fuel costs, and
rather slower.)
--
And I administer machines for the army. I know stupid.
-- Nir Soffer
Peter Corlett
2022-04-28 11:29:05 UTC
Roger Bell_West <roger+***@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
[...]
(I'm planning to go to Perth [Scotland] in August. My first thought, being
the age I am, was to book a train. Turns out to be distinctly more
expensive than driving myself, even with current fuel costs, and rather
slower.)
One bit of pleasing railway news is that the Dutch national rail operator
lost the Scotrail franchise due to being even worse at the job than the
likes of WorstGroup etc, so the odds of them cancelling the train out of
spite and stranding you in the arse end of nowhere would have been
significantly reduced.
Peter Corlett
2022-04-28 11:09:35 UTC
Post by Gary Barnes
Are we on for an asrbrum this year?
Do you know a pub with a properly outdoor beer garden? The Wellington's
big plastic box doesn't really seem suitable.
There's always the Fountain. I gather they may have even gotten rid of the
darkroom.
Roger Bell_West
2022-04-28 11:59:27 UTC
Post by Peter Corlett
There's always the Fountain. I gather they may have even gotten rid of the
darkroom.
(checks the site)

They've definitely decided on their target audience, haven't they? Is
it that vanishingly rare thing a gay pub with decent real ale?
--
Sometimes I feel as though I'm the only person who kept his bicycle when
everyone else was getting motorcycles that run on nitroglycerine and
-- Roger BW (on running Debian/stable rather than Ubuntu)
Peter Corlett
2022-04-28 12:56:21 UTC
Post by Roger Bell_West
Post by Peter Corlett
There's always the Fountain. I gather they may have even gotten rid of
the darkroom.
(checks the site)
They've definitely decided on their target audience, haven't they? Is it
that vanishingly rare thing a gay pub with decent real ale?
They're not actually all that rare, just that the venues catering to
children tend to be rather more visible. Look for a bear pub, and you've
probably found a decent pint. Bears don't tend to go in for tiny drinks
which are 50% sugar and 50% umbrellas.

See also Irish pubs which Irish people go to as opposed to one plastered in
green crap and screens full of football. So that'd be a vote for the Anchor
Digbeth except I don't think they have a beer garden.

ISTR that the Fountain usually has three or four Real Ales on, although it's
been at least a decade since my last visit.
Gary Barnes
2022-04-28 13:22:04 UTC
On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:56:21 -0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett
<***@mooli.org.uk> wrote:
: They're not actually all that rare, just that the venues catering to
: children tend to be rather more visible. Look for a bear pub, and you've
: probably found a decent pint. Bears don't tend to go in for tiny drinks
: which are 50% sugar and 50% umbrellas.

I don't know if I count as a bear, I'm close, but probably not hairy enough.

Gaz
--
/\./\
~~~
Peter Corlett
2022-04-30 12:42:28 UTC
Gary Barnes <***@adminspotting.org> wrote:
[...]
Post by Gary Barnes
I don't know if I count as a bear, I'm close, but probably not hairy enough.
Given that you drink C-Stoff, this would be the uneasy balance between it
putting hairs on your chest, and it scorching them right off again when you
spill some down your front.
Gary Barnes
2022-04-30 13:45:37 UTC
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:42:28 -0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett
<***@mooli.org.uk> wrote:
: Given that you drink C-Stoff, this would be the uneasy balance between it
: putting hairs on your chest, and it scorching them right off again when you
: spill some down your front.

I'm pretty sure that that paraffin-looking pink battery acid you saw me drink in the
Welly would not just remove hairs, but also a couple of layers of skin.

Gaz
--
/\./\
~~~
Roger Bell_West
2022-04-30 18:37:36 UTC
Post by Gary Barnes
I'm pretty sure that that paraffin-looking pink battery acid you saw
me drink in the Welly would not just remove hairs, but also a couple
of layers of skin.
Starting on the inside.
--
Kids are cool. I wanted to do experiments, but they wouldn't let me.
-- Joel Gluth
Gary Barnes
2022-05-01 11:10:16 UTC
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:37:36 -0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
: On 2022-04-30, Gary Barnes wrote:
: >I'm pretty sure that that paraffin-looking pink battery acid you saw
: >me drink in the Welly would not just remove hairs, but also a couple
: >of layers of skin.
:
: Starting on the inside.

Naw. Cast iron stomach, me.

Just another benefit of 7 years at boarding school.

Gaz
--
/\./\
~~~
Roger Bell_West
2022-04-28 14:15:08 UTC
Post by Peter Corlett
They're not actually all that rare, just that the venues catering to
children tend to be rather more visible. Look for a bear pub, and you've
probably found a decent pint. Bears don't tend to go in for tiny drinks
which are 50% sugar and 50% umbrellas.
I suspect the ones I've been invited along to at a certain point in
the evening tended to be the ones that catered mostly to young
attractive men, i.e. usually not real ale drinkers - but certainly
I've heard gay men complaining about the lack of overlap between
gay-friendly and decent-pint-friendly establishments. It may have
improved of late.
--
"What am I doing? I'm a monster! I can't paint the walls with my
girlfriend's blood! Humans are 70% water and I used an oil-based
-- http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive/2111
Wojciech Derechowski
2022-04-29 03:37:29 UTC
Post by Roger Bell_West
I suspect the ones I've been invited along to at a certain point in
the evening tended to be the ones that catered mostly to young
attractive men, i.e. usually not real ale drinkers - but certainly
I've heard gay men complaining about the lack of overlap between
gay-friendly and decent-pint-friendly establishments.
Some of us would be pleased to know that one can find a well-ordering
of gay men who like beer with respect to how ugly they are.

WD
Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?
The Horny Goat
2022-04-29 23:18:33 UTC
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 03:37:29 -0000, Wojciech Derechowski
Post by Wojciech Derechowski
Some of us would be pleased to know that one can find a well-ordering
of gay men who like beer with respect to how ugly they are.
Surely if THAT's the criteria the Survivor casting department did
extremely well in picking the first season's winner! The "fat naked
gay guy" himself!
Gary Barnes
2022-04-29 09:21:39 UTC
On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:15:08 -0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
<roger+***@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
: I've heard gay men complaining about the lack of overlap between
: gay-friendly and decent-pint-friendly establishments.

Tsk, you want the moon on a stick, you do.

I'm happy with what I consider my two locals. One is a Joule's pub, so good
beer. The other is a keg pub, so I pretty much stick to cider in there.

Both have a small brass plaque that I installed. One reads "Nickel's Nook"
because, well, stealth collie. The other reads "Gary's Corner". This was the
fault of the Landlady, since she constantly tells me "Get in your corner",
usually after I've cracked one of my terrible jokes.

Her name is Gaynor, so I suppose technically, that's a Gay's bar...

She still winces when I leave and in response to her shouting "Bye!" I say
"I know I am."

Gaz
--
/\./\